REAR AXLE AND FINAL DRIVE
48. Repeat on other bearing bore. Add readings
then halve sum to obtain mean reading. Note
Where trace pin moves down, reading is
Where trace pin moves up, reading is
49. Before adjusting shim thickness: check pinion
face marking. If a plus (+) figure, subtract in
50. If pinion has a minus (-) figure, add amount to
shim thickness figure.
NOTE: Where dial indicator is metric
51. Recheck pinion height setting. If setting is
correct, mean reading of dial gauge will agree
Bearing pre-load adjustment
52. Remove the pinion flange, pinion, outer bearing
53. Slide new shim, of same thickness as original
(bearing pre-load) into position on pinion shaft. If
54. Fit pinion to pinion housing and fit outer bearing
and spacer (front differential only).
55. Fit driving flange, washer and nut.
57. Tighten pinion flange nut to
130 Nm. Force to
rotate pinion shaft is 3Nm using new bearings.
NOTE: If using original bedded in
58. Remove pinion flange.