VISUAL AND SAFETY CHECKS
WARNING: Before taking vehicle out on
checks are carried out to ensure that the vehicle
Tyres and wheel rims
1. Check and adjust tyre pressures.
GENERAL SPECIFICATION DATA,
2. Check condition of tyres. Inspect for signs of
uneven wear, damage and feathering. Check
3. Ensure that the tyre make, type and general
condition are common across each axle.
4. Check wheel rims for signs of damage and
excessive run out.
5. Carry out road test.
See Road Test Procedure
ROAD TEST PROCEDURE
General steering/handling problems can usually be
WARNING: Ensure that all road tests are
traffic conditions allow.
1. Carry out visual and safety checks.
and Safety Checks
Confirm general nature of complaint with customer,
2. Steering load assessment - drive at 16 km/h (10
mph). Put 90
turn input into steering wheel,
check self centering. The self centering should
3. Steering assessment - drive at 64 km/h (40 mph)
on a staight FLAT road (no camber), check for
4. Directional stability assessment - drive at 112
km/h (70 mph) or maximum legal speed on a
5. Braking assessment (medium effort) - drive at 96
km/h (60 mph) on a straight flat road. Apply
6. Braking assessment (full effort) - drive at 96
km/h (60 mph) on a straight flat road. Apply full
If the symptom described by the customer is stiff
See Stiff Steering Checklist
If not proceed with basic checks and adjustments.